Current local Las Vegas time is 10:49pm, June 22, 2018.

« -=- »

Telemarketing scum: Wizard Carpet Cleaners of Las Vegas

I loathe telemarketing calls. That’s why our home phone is on the National Do Not Call Registry. When a telemarketer calls, I alert them to this fact and ask them to remove our number from their list. They usually apologize, and we never hear from them again. Fair enough. Mistakes happen.

Unfortunately, Wizard Carpet Cleaners can’t seem to clean up their own act. First of all, they use an auto-dialer with a recording of a woman claiming to be “Susie” and trying to alert me to a deal on carpet cleaning. You can listen to the message and then connect to a representative by pressing 1.

Pressing 1 sometimes gives you an answering machine, but is usually answered by a man. I have received several calls (about 2 weeks apart, usually) and the same guy always answers. He answers by mumbling “Wizard” and that’s it. If you didn’t know the company name, you probably wouldn’t figure it out.

When questioned about company name and phone number, this person becomes rather belligerent and asks why you need this information. Excuse me? What legitimate business isn’t proud to let people know who they are and how to get in touch? He sometimes gives the information, sometimes doesn’t. The law requires that he give the information out, so there’s one violation right there at least half the time. Of course, any call after the first is a violation since I asked to be removed from their list.

I have Wizard Carpet Cleaning to simply remove us form their auto-dialer. But he doesn’t want to do that, so I am going to post here. Hopefully the search engines will pick this up as he doesn’t have a web site, and potential customers can avoid them. If they don’t follow the law regarding their telemarketing practices, I’d be pretty scared about using them in my home or office.

Today’s conversation was the funniest. I told him that he is in violation of Federal law by calling a number on the Do Not Call Registry and wanted to give him one last chance to remove my number. Rather than listening, he tried to get clever and accused me of pretending to be a federal attorney, whatever that is. I never claimed or even remotely implied that I was an attorney, but simply someone who wants “Susie” to go away.

At that point, he got really angry and hung up. Too bad. He now has yet another complaint at the Do Not Call Web site and will continue to get them every time I get a call. Hopefully everyone else in Las Vegas will report Wizard Carpet Cleaning and we can get his magic calling wand taken away.

By the way, they might have terrific service and clean carpets like nobody else. I’ll never find out, though. Their marketing approach is so odious that I would rather lick my carpets clean than have these guys touch them.

Published Mon 1/15/07 at 11:19am

Categorized in Journal, Miscellaneous

19 Responses to Telemarketing scum: Wizard Carpet Cleaners of Las Vegas

1. LarsVargas said on Sat 1/27/07 at 1:59pm

They called again today. It was easier to hang up than to deal with Mr. Personality. Sorry, “Susie” the recording, but we’re still not interested.

This site IS interested, however: http://whocalled.us/lookup/7024926215

2. LarsVargas said on Fri 4/6/07 at 3:40pm

These guys are unbelievable. Now they have a new recording with “Donna” calling that they’re “in the neighborhood”. That’s comforting. I’d rather they were out of business.

3. David said on Mon 11/26/07 at 6:45pm

Herre is there address and real phone number. Call and harrass them as much as they harrass you. The number is a cell number. Leave a ton of messages and fill up the box. It is the least you can do!!! Inconviences them toooooo!!!

Wizard Carpet Cleaners
    702-492-6215
    3982 Chinchilla Ave
    Las Vegas NV 89121-6114

4. Trukadero said on Sat 12/1/07 at 10:44am

Just received a call from “Carpet Care”; found out that was their name after I pressed 1 so that I could get past the computer and to a real person to ask them to add me to their ‘Do Not Call List”. I was hung up on after she heard those magic words. We don’t have caller ID so I can’t verify who they are but I look forward to their being put out of business sooner than later. Thanks for the blog post which draws attention to this lame “business” practice.

5. LarsVargas said on Tue 12/4/07 at 8:49pm

Great idea, David.

And yeah, Trukadero … they’re really good about hanging up on you. They know what they are doing is illegal. I wish I had more time to pursue the issue. I believe that we’re allowed to sue them directly for $500 for each violation. At least I think I heard that somewhere. Could be off base, though. Rumors and such.

Anyway, the used to call fairly frequently. They’re down to roughly once a month now.

It might be fun to give them the address of the police station next time they call.

6. Dave said on Thu 12/6/07 at 3:48pm

We’ve been getting these calls too. I think they’re getting the numbers from someone at a credit card company or some other major business who probably has a rogue employee feeding them the numbers.
    Same deal with me too: they just hang up when you ask to have the number removed from their list.
    They’re getting tricky now too -spoofing the caller ID number that’s shown. The one I got today was 949-614-0045. Comes up as an invalid number when trying to call it.

7. Michael said on Wed 12/19/07 at 2:45pm

This isn’t just Las Vegas — I live in Southern California and am getting the calls on my cell phone… a 310 number. So there’s another violation… as I understand it, calls to a cell phone are against the law, because I have to pay for those minutes used. Of course it comes up “unknown caller,” but so do my parents’ home phone numbers, as they block their caller ID, so I have to answer it.

Do you think they’re actually getting business from these cold calls? I would think they’re pissing off far more people than they’re getting business from.

8. Michael said on Thu 1/3/08 at 1:31pm

Just got my call from “Carpet Care”. Same response after the press 1. I asked their name, then their number. That’s when the woman hung up.

They’ve already been reported to the FCC: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html That’s the first step for everyone.

Given how many violations this scam is racking up, the FCC should actually come through on this.

9. Tony said on Wed 2/6/08 at 12:26pm

Okay, here’s how we beat them at there own game. First press one when they call. Then actually MAKE an appointment then either use you address ( or a fake address) and when they show tell them you’re not interested or that you never made an appointment. Thereby completely wasting their time. If we tie them up they will stop. Second, if everyone calls the 702-492-6215 number and ties up this SOB’s phone they will stop. Do *67 before you call so your number is hidden. Every time you have a minute barrage him/them with calls. If we all did this, especially making the appointments with fake address’s they will crumble. Right now I am putting a Tuna sandwich in a manilla envelope and mailing it to him 3rd class mail to him in Las Vegas. When he opens the envelope he’s gonna really need a cleaning service to get rid of the smell… There is nothing illegal about mailing someone a tuna sandwich 3rd class mail. Let’s beat him/them at their own game.

10. LarsVargas said on Fri 2/15/08 at 10:11am

I just got another call … but not from Susie. This time it was the angry man who I spoke to earlier. And they’re still the “Local carpet cleaning service”.

One new thing was the “press 9 to remove your number from our call list” at the end of the call. I pressed 9 just in case, but like winning the lottery, I’m hopeful, but not counting on it.

I can’t believe how flagrantly this guy breaks the law. I wish I had time to sue him for the $500 a call I’m supposed to be able to get.

And really, who is stupid enough to think “gee, these nice people call me out of the blue and golly my carpets do need cleaning …. sure com on over random caller and clean my floors”.

I guess the stupid get what they deserve.

11. bIZ oWNER said on Fri 3/14/08 at 9:59am

Check out ALL the differnt contact info they have ( provided from Google)
    Google Wizard Carpet Cleaners in las vegas and heres what comes up… None have reviews where it is stated to write one! Possibly because it takes forever to fill out a form to write the damn thing!

Wizard Carpet Cleaners
    2480 Old Forge Ln, Las Vegas, NV 89121-1049, United States
    Phone: (702) 492-6215
    SIC:Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning
    Line of Business:Carpet/Upholstery Cleaning

Wizard Carpet Cleaners
    3982 Chinchilla Ave
    Las Vegas, NV 89121
    (702) 492-6215

Wizard Carpet Cleaning all phases of carpet cleaning, and floor care. 2325 Windmill Henderson, NV 89014, 702-492-6637

Detailed Wizard Carpet Cleaners Company Profile
    This company profile is for the private company Wizard Carpet Cleaners, located in Las Vegas, NV. Wizard Carpet Cleaners’s line of business is carpet/upholstery cleaning.

Company Profile: Wizard Carpet Cleaners

Est. Annual Sales:$74,000
    Est. Employees:3
    Est. Employees at Location:3
    Contact Name:N/A
    Contact Title:N/A

12. MannyInLA said on Tue 3/25/08 at 2:14pm

I got this call today on my cell phone so I filed a complaint with the FCC.
    my cell is unlisted, on the Do-Not-Call registry and I dont give that number out… thats what my house phone is for.
    It prety much went just as the rest of the calls above.
    I searched them on the internet and got their REAL name and number.

www QualityCarpetCleaning com [I took the direct link out. I’m not driving traffic to them! — Lars]
    1-800-675-7768

I hope someone calls them to sell them something they dont want!

Please file a complaint with the FTC / FCC https://esupport.fcc.gov/form1088/consumer.do and lets get rid of this guy for good. Even if he is put out of business and comes back with a different name or person owning… the FTC will get wise to him.
    He will get the shaft in the end.

I also agree with Tony above… now that i have given you their number.

13. buggers said on Thu 4/17/08 at 5:45pm

I received the same phone call. The message said it was “Diane” and when I pressed ONE, though the connection was not very clear, I did get the name of the company, CARPET CARE. When I advised them that they were calling my cell number and asked them to remove my number from their list, the representative promptly hung up the phone. I’ve also sent an email to fcc – thanks for the link Michael. By the way, I’m in LA, also with a 310 cell number.

14. JennyJBloom said on Wed 7/30/08 at 2:35pm

In Los Angeles and am in the same situation as all the others – when i press 1 and ask them to remove my number I get hung up on. One time, I asked for THEIR phone number and received a false 800 number. I get a call every 2 weeks or so.

Today, the call came from a miraculous 9 digit phone number: 310-948-532.

These are some real special people. I think it’s Carpet Care, as buggers mentioned, but they can’t even afford a decent recording so I can’t even hear the name very well. If anyone finds the real phone number and address for the these jackholes, I will gladly mail them tuna sandwiches every day for the rest of my life.

Will try pretending to be interested next time to get more info. I think I’ll say that my parents need carpet cleaning and i’d like to forward on their information.

15. JennyJBloom said on Wed 8/13/08 at 3:02pm

They called again today! I pretended I was at work (I am) and didn’t have time at the moment, but would like to make an appointment at a later time. The number they gave me was 800-645-5953 and it’s a fake. The caller ID was No Name from 310-978-456, another 9 digit phone number. These people are going to hell.

16. Jay Jetty said on Sat 1/30/10 at 3:16pm

As an owner operator of a small carpet cleaning business, I would like to extend my apologies for these deplorable actions.

I base my business on quality, not quantity.

The actions of less than reputable companies affect every one in the cleaning industry negatively.

Again I offer my apologies for the effect that these actions have on the rest of us.

Sincerely,
    Jay Jetty
    Desert Dry Carpet Care

17. Barb in Vegas said on Tue 12/27/11 at 2:59pm

Well- I have had it with the recorded calls from “Carpet Care” too. It is now 12/27/2011 and they are still at it (I read the above from 2007 on) They hung up on me today too and wouldn’t provide a phone number so I could schedule cleaning later. (NOT that I would). I want off there list too! I want to report them too. This is the only thread I have found regarding this tele scamming. I will keep trying. Thanks all.

18. Barb in Vegas said on Tue 12/27/11 at 5:07pm

Tips for Handling Telemarketers
    Three Little Words That Work!!
    (1)The three little words are: ‘Hold On, Please…’

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company’s ‘beep-beep-beep’ tone, you know it’s time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting…

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?
    This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a ‘real’ sales person to call back and get someone at home.
    What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call, and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer!!!

19. Barb in Vegas said on Tue 12/27/11 at 5:09pm

I report them to the FCC and now I am writing to Channel 5 Fox News “the Rant” too, to warn other Las Vegans not to use them. thanks all.